- 1[countable] a town or city with a harbor, especially one where ships load and unload goods fishing ports Rotterdam is a major port.
- 2[countable, uncountable] (abbreviation Pt.) a place where ships load and unload goods or shelter from storms a naval port The ship spent four days in port. They reached port at last. port of entry (= a place where people or goods can enter a country) see also airport, free port, heliport, seaport
- 3[uncountable] the side of a ship or aircraft that is on the left when you are facing forward the port side opposite starboard
- 4[countable] (computing) a place on a computer where you can attach another piece of equipment, often using a cable the modem port
- 5(also port wine) [uncountable] a strong sweet wine, usually dark red, that is made in Portugal. It is usually drunk at the end of a meal.
- 6[countable] a glass of port Idioms
nounjump to other results
if you are in great trouble, you take any help that is offered
any port in a storm (saying)jump to other results