- 1NAmE//ˈpɑzət̮ɪvli//, NAmE//ˌpɑzəˈtɪvli//used to emphasize the truth of a statement, especially when this is surprising or when it contrasts with a previous statement Some diets may be positively dangerous. The instructions were not just confusing, they were positively misleading. Tonight's performance is positively the last time the band will appear together.
- 2in a way that shows you are thinking of the good things about a situation, not the bad Very few of those interviewed spoke positively about their childhood. Thinking positively is one way of dealing with stress. opposite negatively
- 3in a way that shows you approve of or agree with something or someone Investors reacted positively to news of the takeover. opposite negatively
- 4in a way that leaves no possibility of doubt synonym conclusively Her attacker has now been positively identified by police.
- 5(technology) in a way that contains or produces the type of electricity that is opposite to that carried by an electron positively charged protons opposite negatively
adverbjump to other results