- 1an idea or a plan of action that is suggested, especially in business I'd like to put a business proposition to you. He was trying to make it look like an attractive proposition.
- 2 a thing that you intend to do; a problem or task to be dealt with synonym matter Getting a work permit is not always a simple proposition.
- 3 Proposition (informal) (abbreviation Prop) a suggested change to the law that people can vote on One of the propositions up for vote in California is proposition 1-A. Vote “No” to Prop 16 (= on a sign).
- 4(formal) a statement that expresses an opinion Her assessment is based on the proposition that power corrupts.
- 5(mathematics) a statement of a theorem, and an explanation of how it can be proved
propositionaljump to other results