- 1[uncountable] protection (for/of somebody/something) (against/from something) the act of protecting someone or something; the state of being protected Wear clothes that provide adequate protection against the wind and rain. He asked to be put under police protection. the conservation and protection of the environment data protection laws
- 2[countable] protection (against something) a thing that protects someone or something against something They wore the charm as a protection against evil spirits.
- 3[uncountable] protection (against something) insurance against fire, injury, damage, etc. Our policy offers complete protection against fire and theft.
- 4[uncountable] the system of helping an industry in your own country by taxing foreign goods The government is ready to introduce protection for the car industry.
- 5[uncountable] the system of paying criminals so that they will not attack your business or property to pay protection money to run a protection racket
nounjump to other results