Phrasal Verbsphrasal verbjump to other results
put downphrasal verb
to make someone look or feel stupid, especially in front of other people related noun put-downjump to other results
- 1 to stop holding something and place it on a table, shelf, etc. Put that knife down before you hurt somebody! It's a great book.I couldn't put it down. see also unputdownable
- 2 to write something; to make a note of something The meeting's on the 22nd. Put it down in your calendar.
- 3to pay part of the cost of something We put a 5% deposit down on the house.
- 4to stop something by force synonym crush to put down a rebellion The military government is determined to put down all opposition.
- 5[often passive] to kill an animal, usually by giving it a drug, because it is old or sick We had to have our cat put down.
- 6 to put a baby to bed Can you be quiet—I've just put the baby down.