- 1 [uncountable] the activity of someone who reads My hobbies include reading and painting. He needs more help with his reading. Are you any good at map reading? reading glasses (= worn when reading) a reading lamp/light (= one that can be moved to shine light onto something that you are reading) She has a reading knowledge of German (= she can understand written German).
- 2[singular] an act of reading something A closer (= more detailed) reading of the text reveals just how desperate he was feeling. We are all expected to attend the reading of her will. books/articles
- 3 [uncountable] books, articles, etc. that are intended to be read reading matter/material a series of reading books (= books that teach children how to read) for children further reading (= at the end of a book, a list of other books that give more information about the same subject) The report makes for interesting reading (= it is interesting to read) The article is not exactly light reading (= it is not easy to read).
- 4[countable] a chapter or part of a book that is read in class or set for homework, etc. way of understanding
- 5[countable] reading (of something) the particular way in which you understand a book, situation, etc. synonym interpretation a literal reading of the text My own reading of events is less optimistic. measurement
- 6[countable] the amount or number shown on an instrument used for measuring something Meter readings are taken every three months. event
- 7 [countable] an event at which someone reads something to an audience for entertainment; a piece of literature that is read at such an event a poetry reading The evening ended with a reading from her latest novel. from Bible/Koran/Torah
- 8 [countable] a short section from the Bible, Koran, Torah, etc. that someone reads to people as part of a religious service The reading today is from the Book of Daniel. in parliament or congress
- 9 [countable] one of the stages during which a bill (= a proposal for a new law) must be discussed and accepted by a parliament or congress before it can become law The bill looks like it will be given a second reading.
nounjump to other results