- 1 [countable, usually singular] the type of welcome that is given to someone or something Her latest album has met with a mixed reception from fans. Delegates gave him a warm reception as he called for more spending on education.
- 2 [countable] a formal social occasion to welcome someone or celebrate something a wedding reception A champagne reception was held at the Swallow Hotel. They hosted a reception for 75 guests.
- 3 [uncountable] the act of receiving or welcoming someone the reception of refugees from the war zone
- 4 [uncountable] the quality of radio and television signals that are broadcast good/bad reception There was very poor reception on my phone.
- 5 [uncountable] the area inside the entrance of a hotel, an office building, etc. where guests or visitors go first when they arrive the reception area We arranged to meet in reception at 6.30. You can leave a message with reception. the reception desk compare front desk
- 6 [countable] (in football) the act of catching a ball when it is being passed forward a 33-yard reception
nounjump to other results