- 1[uncountable] the process of changing or improving the condition of something or the way it works; the process of putting something back into the state it was in before the reconstruction of the educational system the post-war reconstruction of Germany a reconstruction period
- 2[uncountable] the activity of building again something that has been damaged or destroyed the reconstruction of the sea walls
- 3 [countable] a copy of something that no longer exists A modern reconstruction of Shakespeare's Globe Theater opened in 1997.
- 4[countable] a short film showing events that are known to have happened in order to try and get more information or better understanding, especially about a crime Last night police staged a reconstruction of the incident.
- 5 Reconstruction [uncountable] the period after the American Civil War when the southern states returned to the U.S. and laws were passed that gave rights to African Americans
nounjump to other results