- 1[countable] an image in a mirror, on a shiny surface, on water, etc. He admired his reflection in the mirror.
- 2[uncountable] the action or process of sending back light, heat, sound, etc. from a surface
- 3[countable] a sign that shows the state or nature of something Your clothes are often a reflection of your personality. The increase in crime is a sad reflection on (= shows something bad about) our society today.
- 4[uncountable] careful thought about something, sometimes over a long period of time She decided on reflection to accept his offer after all. A week off would give him time for reflection.
- 5[countable, usually plural] your written or spoken thoughts about a particular subject or topic a book of her reflections on childhood
- 6[countable] an account or a description of something The article is an accurate reflection of events that day. Idioms
after thinking about something carefully and for a long time
on mature reflection/consideration (formal)jump to other results