- 1[countable] a formal statement of an opinion agreed on by a committee or a council, especially by means of a vote to pass/adopt/carry a resolution The U.N. Security Council unanimously adopted a resolution calling for a halt to hostilities.
- 2[uncountable, singular] the act of solving or settling a problem, disagreement, etc. synonym settlement The government is pressing for an early resolution of the dispute.
- 3[uncountable] the quality of being resolute or determined synonym resolve The reforms owe a great deal to the resolution of one man. Her resolution never faltered.
- 4 [countable] resolution (to do something) a firm decision to do or not to do something She made a resolution to visit her relatives more often. Have you made any New Year's resolutions? (= for example, to give up smoking from January 1)
- 5[uncountable, singular] the power of a computer screen, printer, etc. to give a clear image, depending on the size of the dots that make up the image high-resolution graphics
nounjump to other results