- 1 [countable] a part of a building that has its own walls, floor, and ceiling and is usually used for a particular purpose He walked out of the room and slammed the door. They were in the next room and we could hear every word they said. a dining/living room They had to sit in the waiting room for an hour. I think Simon is in his room (= bedroom). I don't want to watch TV. I'll be in the other room (= a different room). There are many compounds ending in room. You will find them at their place in the alphabet. -room
- 2 (in adjectives) having the number of rooms mentioned a three-room apartment in hotel
- 3 [countable] a bedroom in a hotel, etc. a double/single room I'd like to reserve a room with a view of the lake. She rents rooms to students. Topic CollocationsTravel and Tourismvacations have/take a vacation/a break/a day off/a year off/time off go on/be on vacation/leave/honeymoon/safari/sabbatical/a trip/a tour/a cruise/a pilgrimage go backpacking/camping/sightseeing plan a trip/a vacation/your itinerary reserve a hotel room/a flight/tickets have/make/cancel a reservation rent a condo/a vacation home/a cabin rent a car/bicycle/moped/scooter/Jet Ski stay in a hotel/a bed and breakfast/a youth hostel/a villa/a trailer/a vacation home/a resort/a timeshare cost/charge $100 a/per night for a suite/a single/double/twin room check into/out of a hotel/a motel/your room pack/unpack your suitcase/bags call/order room service cancel/cut short a trip/vacationforeign travel apply for/get/renew a/your passport take out/buy/get travel insurance catch/miss your plane/train/ferry/connecting flight fly (in)/travel (in) first/business/economy class make/have a brief/two-day/twelve-hour layover/stopover in Hong Kong experience/cause/lead to delays check (in)/collect/get/lose your baggage/luggage be charged for/pay excess baggage fees board/get on/leave/get off the aircraft/plane/ship/ferry taxi down/leave/approach/hit/overshoot the runway experience/hit/encounter (mild/severe) turbulence suffer from/recover from/get over your jet lag/motion sickness be seasick/carsickthe tourist industry attract/draw/bring tourists/visitors encourage/promote/hurt tourism promote/develop ecotourism build/develop/visit a tourist/tropical/beach/ski resort work for/be operated by a major hotel chain be served by/compete with low-fare/low-cost/budget airlines use/go to/have a travel agent contact/check with your travel agent/tour operator buy/be on/go on a package deal/vacation/tour buy/bring back (tacky/overpriced) souvenirs space
- 4 [uncountable] empty space that can be used for a particular purpose room (for somebody/something) Is there enough room for me in the car? There's room for one more at the table. Do you have room for a computer on your desk? Yes, there's plenty of room. How can we make room for all the furniture? I'll move the table—it takes up too much room. room (to do something) Make sure you have plenty of room to sit comfortably. see also elbow room, headroom, legroom, standing room possibility
- 5[uncountable] room for something the possibility of something existing or happening; the opportunity to do something He had to be certain. There could be no room for doubt. There's some room for improvement in your work (= it is not as good as it could be). It is important to give children room to think for themselves. people
- 6[singular] all the people in a room The whole room burst into applause. Idioms
nounjump to other results
a problem or question that everyone knows about but does not mention because it is easier not to discuss it The elephant in the room was the money that had to be paid in bribes. There's a big elephant in the room and it's gun control.
the elephant in the roomjump to other results
when someone says there's no room to swing a cat, they mean that a room is very small and that there is not enough space
no room to swing a cat (informal)jump to other results
the chance to change the way that something happens and influence decisions that are made Small farmers have limited room to maneuver.
room to maneuverjump to other results
a decision that people describe as being made in a smoke-filled room is made by a small group of people at a private meeting, rather than in an open and democratic way
a smoke-filled room (disapproving)jump to other results