- 1[uncountable] the state of being safe and protected from danger or harm a place where children can play in safety The police are concerned for the safety of the 12-year-old boy who has been missing for three days. He was kept in custody for his own safety.
- 2[uncountable] the state of not being dangerous I'm worried about the safety of the treatment. safety standards a local campaign to improve road safety The airline has an excellent safety record.
- 3[uncountable] a place where you are safe I managed to swim to safety. We watched the lions from the safety of the car. They reached safety seconds before the building was engulfed in flames.
- 4 [countable] a device that stops a gun from being fired or a machine from working by accident Is the safety on?
- 5 [countable] (in football) a defensive player who plays in a position far away from the other team Idioms
nounjump to other results
safety is the most important thing
safety first (saying)jump to other results
being in a group makes you safer and makes you feel more confident
there's safety in numbers (saying)jump to other results