- 1 [countable] an official agreement that ends an argument between two people or groups to negotiate a peace settlement The management and unions have reached a settlement over new working conditions. an out-of-court settlement (= money that is paid to someone or an agreement that is made to stop someone going to court)
- 2[uncountable] the action of reaching an agreement the settlement of a dispute
- 3[countable] (law) the conditions, or a document stating the conditions, on which money or property is given to someone a divorce/marriage/property, etc. settlement
- 4[uncountable] the action of paying back money that you owe the settlement of a debt a check in settlement of a bill Settlement is made monthly by direct debit.
- 5 [countable] a place where people have come to live and make their homes, especially where few or no people lived before signs of an Iron Age settlement a mining settlement
- 6 [uncountable] the process of people making their homes in a place the settlement of the American West
- 7 [uncountable] = subsidence