- 1a large piece of thin cloth used on a bed to lie on or lie under Have you changed the sheets (= put clean sheets on the bed)? He slid between the sheets and closed his eyes. of paper
- 2 a piece of paper for writing or printing on, etc. usually in a standard size a clean/blank sheet of paper (= with no writing on it) Start each answer on a fresh sheet. Pick up one of our free information sheets at reception. flat, thin piece
- 3 a flat, thin piece of any material, normally square or rectangular a sheet of glass/steel sheet metal (= metal that has been made into thin sheets) Place the dough on a baking sheet (= for cooking something in an oven). wide, flat area
- 4a wide, flat area of something, covering the surface of something else The road was covered with a sheet of ice. of fire/water
- 5a large, moving mass of fire or water a sheet of flame The rain was coming down in sheets (= very heavily). on sail
- 6(technology) a rope or chain fastened to the lower corner of a sail to hold it and to control the angle of the sail There are other compounds ending sheet. You will find them at their place in the alphabet.
nounjump to other results