- 1a large piece of metal or leather carried by soldiers in the past to protect the body when fighting
- 2= riot shield
- 3 a person or thing used to protect someone or something, especially by forming a barrier The gunman used the hostages as a human shield. Sunscreen may not be an effective shield against the sun's more harmful rays. She hid her true feelings behind a shield of cold indifference.
- 4a plate or screen that protects a machine or the person using it from damage or injury A heat shield protects the worker's hands.
- 5an object in the shape of a shield, given as a prize in a sports competition, etc.
- 6a drawing or model of a shield showing a coat of arms
- 7 a police officer's badge