Phrasal Verbsphrasal verbjump to other results
shoot upphrasal verb
- 1 to grow very quickly Their kids have really shot up since the last time I saw them.
- 2to rise suddenly by a large amount Ticket prices shot up last year. Language Bankincreasedescribing an increase The number of foreign students in the U.S. increased from 622,000 in 2009 to just over 672,000 in 2010. First-time student enrollments shot up/increased dramatically in 2010. 2010 saw a significant rise in student numbers. The number of foreign students increased by almost 8% compared with the previous year. The 2010 figure was 672,000, an increase of 8% from the previous year. The 2010 figure was 672,000, up 8%from the previous year. As the chart shows, this can partly be explained by a dramatic increase in students from China. The number of Chinese undergraduate students rose sharply from 81,000 in 2009 to 98,000 in 2010.
- 3(slang) to inject an illegal drug directly into your blood
- 1to cause great damage to something by shooting
- 2[no passive] (slang) to inject an illegal drug directly into your blood