- 1(of a person) not speaking to remain/stay/keep silent They huddled together in silent groups. As the curtain rose, the audience fell silent. He gave me the silent treatment (= did not speak to me because he was angry).
- 2[only before noun] (especially of a man) not talking very much synonym quiet He's the strong silent type.
- 3where there is little or no sound; making little or no sound synonym quiet At last the traffic fell silent. The streets were silent and deserted.
- 4[only before noun] not expressed with words or sound a silent prayer/protest They nodded in silent agreement.
- 5silent (on/about something) not giving information about something; refusing to speak about something The report is strangely silent on this issue. the right to remain silent (= the legal right not to say anything when you are arrested)
- 6 [only before noun] (of old movies) with pictures but no sound a silent movie/film stars of the silent screen
- 7(of a letter in a word) written but not pronounced The “b” in “lamb” is silent.
adjectivejump to other results