- 1used to emphasize how easy or basic something is synonym just Simply add hot water and stir. The runway is simply a strip of grass. Fame is often simply a matter of being in the right place at the right time. You can enjoy all the water sports, or simply lie on the beach.
- 2used to emphasize a statement synonym absolutely You simply must see the play. The view is simply wonderful! That is simply not true! I haven't seen her for simply ages.
- 3 in a way that is easy to understand The book explains grammar simply and clearly. Anyway,to put it simply, we still owe them $2,000.
- 4in a way that is natural and plain The rooms are simply furnished. They live simply (= they do not spend much money).
- 5used to introduce a summary or an explanation of something that you have just said or done I don't want to be rude,it's simply that we have to be careful who we give this information to. He was loud, vulgar and arrogant—quite simply the rudest man I've ever met!
adverbjump to other results