- 1a small mistake, usually made by being careless or not paying attention He recited the whole poem without making a single slip. There were a few slips in the translation. see also Freudian slip Thesaurusmistakeerror inaccuracy slip misprintThese are all words for a word, figure, or fact that is not said, written down, or typed correctly.mistake a word or figure that is not said or written down correctly:It's a common mistake among learners of English. spelling mistakeserror (somewhat formal) a word, figure, etc. that is not said or written down correctly:There are too many errors in your work. Error is a more formal way of saying mistake.inaccuracy (somewhat formal) a piece of information that is not exactly correct:The article is full of inaccuracies.slip a small mistake, usually made by being careless or not paying attentionmisprint a small mistake in a printed textPatterns a(n) mistake/error/inaccuracy/slip/misprint in something to make a(n) mistake/error/slip to contain/be full of/include mistakes/errors/inaccuracies/misprints piece of paper
- 2 a small piece of paper, especially one for writing on or with something printed on it I wrote it down on a slip of paper. act of slipping
- 3an act of slipping One slip and you could fall to your death. clothing
- 4a piece of women's underwear like a thin dress or skirt, worn under a dress place for boats
- 5a place in the water where boats are kept, usually between two piers Idioms
small mistakenounjump to other results
to escape or get away from someone who is following or chasing you I managed to give him the slip by hiding behind a wall.
give somebody the slip (informal)jump to other results
a small or thin, usually young, person She's only a slip of a thing.
a slip of a boy, girl, etc. (old-fashioned)jump to other results
a small mistake in something that you write or say Did I call you Richard? Sorry, Robert, just a slip of the tongue.
a slip of the pen/tonguejump to other results
nothing is completely certain until it really happens because things can easily go wrong
there's many a slip 'twixt cup and lip (saying)jump to other results