- 1[uncountable] people in general, living together in communities policies that will benefit society as a whole Racism exists at all levels of society. They carried out research into the roles of men and women in today's society
- 2 [countable, uncountable] a particular community of people who share the same customs, laws, etc. modern industrial societies demand created by a consumer society Can Britain ever be a classless society? They were discussing the problems of Western society.
- 3 [countable] (abbreviation Soc.) (especially in names) a group of people who join together for a particular purpose a member of the drama society the American Society of Newspaper Editors
- 4[uncountable] the group of people in a country who are fashionable, rich, and powerful Their daughter married into high society. a society wedding
- 5[uncountable] (formal) the state of being with other people synonym company He was a solitary man who avoided the society of others.
nounjump to other results