- 1[usually before noun] done alone; without other people She enjoys long solitary walks. He led a solitary life.
- 2(of a person or an animal) enjoying being alone; frequently spending time alone He was a solitary child. Tigers are solitary animals.
- 3(of a person, thing, or place) alone, with no other people or things around synonym single a solitary farm A solitary light burned dimly in the hall.
- 4[usually before noun] (especially in negative sentences and questions) only one synonym single There was not a solitary shred of evidence (= none at all).
- noun [uncountable] Even as a boy he was given to solitariness.
solitarinessjump to other results