- 1[countable] the spiritual part of a person, believed to exist after death He believed his immortal soul was in peril. The howling wind sounded like the wailing of lost souls (= the spirits of dead people who are not in heaven). Topic CollocationsReligionbeing religious believe in God/Christ/Allah/free will/predestination/heaven and hell/an afterlife/reincarnation be/become an agnostic/an atheist/a believer/a Buddhist/Christian/Hindu/Muslim, etc. convert to/practice a religion/Buddhism/Catholicism/Christianity/Islam/Judaism, etc. go to church/temple (= the synagogue) go to the local church/mosque/synagogue belong to a church/a religious community join/enter the Church/a convent/a monastery/the clergy/the priesthood/a religious sect/a cult praise/worship/obey/serve/glorify Godcelebrations and ritual attend/hold/conduct/lead a service perform a ceremony/a rite/a ritual/a baptism/the Hajj/a bar mitzvah/a bat mitzvah carry out/perform a sacred/burial/funeral/fertility/purification rite/the last rites go on/make a pilgrimage celebrate Christmas/Diwali/Easter/Eid/Hanukkah/Passover/Ramadan observe/break the Sabbath/a fast/Ramadan deliver/preach/hear a sermon lead/address the congregation say/recite a prayer/blessingreligious texts and ideas preach/proclaim/spread the word of God/the Gospel/the message of Islam/a message study/follow the dharma/the teachings of Buddha read/study/understand/interpret scripture/the Bible/the Koran/the Gospel/the Torah be based on/derived from divine revelation commit/consider something heresy/sacrilegereligious belief and experience seek/find/gain enlightenment/wisdom strengthen/lose/question your faith keep/practice/abandon the faith save/purify/lose your soul obey/follow/keep/break/violate a commandment/Islamic law/Jewish law be/accept/do God's will receive/experience divine grace achieve/attain enlightenment/salvation/nirvana undergo a conversion/rebirth/reincarnation hear/answer a prayer commit/confess/forgive a sin do/perform penance inner character
- 2[countable] a person's inner character, containing their true thoughts and feelings There was a feeling of restlessness deep in her soul. spiritual/moral/artistic qualities
- 3[singular] the spiritual and moral qualities of humans in general synonym psyche the dark side of the human soul
- 4[uncountable, countable] strong and good human feeling, especially that gives a work of art its quality or enables someone to recognize and enjoy that quality It was a very polished performance, but it lacked soul.
- 5[singular] the soul of something a perfect example of a good quality He is the soul of discretion. person
- 6[countable] (becoming old-fashioned) a person of a particular type She's lost all her money, poor soul. You're a brave soul.
- 7 [countable] (especially in negative sentences) a person There wasn't a soul in sight (= no one was in sight). Don't tell a soul (= do not tell anyone). (literary) a village of 300 souls (= with 300 people living there) music
- 8(also soul music) [uncountable] a type of music that expresses strong emotions, made popular by African American musicians a soul singer Idioms
spirit of person
nounjump to other results
to tell someone your deepest and most private feelings
bare your soul (to somebody)jump to other results
with all your energy She committed herself body and soul to fighting for the cause.
body and souljump to other results
used to show respect when you are talking about someone who is dead
God rest his/her soul, God rest him/her (old-fashioned) (informal)jump to other results
good for you, even if it seems unpleasant “Want a ride?” “No thanks. Walking is good for the soul.”
good for the soul (humorous)jump to other results
with a lot of energy and enthusiasm They threw themselves heart and soul into the project.
heart and souljump to other results
to stay alive with just enough of the food, clothing, etc. that you need synonym survive They barely have enough money to keep body and soul together.
keep body and soul togetherjump to other results
to do anything, even something bad or dishonest, in return for money, success, or power
sell your soul (to the devil)jump to other results