- 1[uncountable] an amount of an area or of a place that is empty or that is available for use synonym room floor/office/shelf, etc. space We must make good use of the available space. That desk takes up too much space. There is very little storage space in the department. Can we make space for an extra chair? How much disk space will it take up? (= on a computer)
- 2 [countable] an area or a place that is empty a large/small/narrow/wide space a space two yards by three yards a parking space crowded together in a confined space I'll clear a space for your books. Put it in the space between the table and the wall.
- 3[uncountable] the quality of being large and empty, allowing you to move freely synonym The room has been furnished and decorated to give a feeling of space.
- 4[countable, uncountable] a large area of land that has no buildings on it the wide open spaces of the Canadian prairies It's a city with fine buildings and plenty of open space. Thesauruslandlot ground space plotThese words all mean an area of land that is used for a particular purpose.land an area of ground, especially one that is used for a particular purpose:agricultural landlot a piece of land that is used or intended for a particular purpose:building lots a parking lotground (often used in compounds) an area of land that is used for a particular purpose:The kids were playing on a playground near the school. the site of an ancient burial groundland, lot, or ground?Land is used for large areas of open land in the country, especially when it is used for farming. A lot is often a smaller piece of land in a town or city, especially one intended for building or parking on. Ground is any area of open land; a ground is an area of land designed or used for a particular purpose or activity.space a large area of land that has no buildings on it:The city has plenty of open space. the wide open spaces of the Canadian prairiesplot a small piece of land used or intended for a particular purpose:She bought a small plot of land to build a house. a vegetable plotlot or plot?Either a lot or a plot can be used for building on. Only a plot can also be used for growing vegetables or burying people.Patterns (an) open land/ground/space (a/an) empty/vacant land/lot/ground/plot outside earth's atmosphere
- 5(also outer space) [uncountable] the area outside the earth's atmosphere where all the other planets and stars are the first woman in space the possibility of visitors from outer space the U.S. space program a space flight/mission period of time
- 6[countable, usually singular] a period of time Forty-four people died in the space of five days. They had achieved a lot in a short space of time. Leave a space of two weeks between appointments. in writing/printing
- 7[uncountable, countable] the part of a line, page, or document that is empty Don't waste space by leaving a wide margin. There was not enough space to print all the letters we received. Leave a space after the comma. freedom
- 8[uncountable] the freedom and the time to think or do what you want to She was upset and needed space. You have to give teenagers plenty of space. see also breathing room where things exist/move
- 9[uncountable] the whole area in which all things exist and move It is quite possible that space and time are finite. Idioms
nounjump to other results
to look straight in front of you without looking at a particular thing, usually because you are thinking about something He sat staring into space, like a man in a trance.
look/stare/gaze into spacejump to other results
a person who is useless or no good at anything
a waste of space (informal)jump to other results
used in orders, to tell someone to wait for more news about something to be announced I can't tell you any more right now, but watch this space.
watch this space (informal)jump to other results