- 1a person who gives a talk or makes a speech He was a guest speaker at the conference. She was a brilliant public speaker. The Society has an interesting talk by a visiting speaker every month.
- 2a person who is or was speaking I looked around to see who the speaker was. A speaker conveys information through tone and body language.
- 3a person who speaks a particular language Chinese speakers a native speaker of English
- 4 (the) Speaker the title of the person whose job is to control the discussions in a legislature the Speaker of the House of Representatives
- 5 the part of a radio, computer, or piece of musical equipment that the sound comes out of a CD player and radio with two ultraslim speakers see also loudspeaker Thesaurusspeakercommunicator gossip talkerThese are all words for a person who talks or is talking, especially in a particular way.speaker a person who is or was speaking; a person who speaks a particular language:I looked around to see who the speaker was. a fluent speaker of Arabiccommunicator (somewhat formal) a person who is able to describe their ideas and feelings clearly to others:The ideal candidate will be an effective communicator.gossip (disapproving) a person who enjoys talking about other people's private lives:Myra is a sweet person, but she's also a terrible gossip.talker a person who talks a lot:He's not a talker. She's a big talker (= she talks a lot).speaker or talker?Talker is used when you are talking about how much someone talks. It is not used for the person who is or was talking:I looked round to see who the talker was.Patterns a good/great speaker/communicator an effective/excellent speaker/communicator Word Familyspeak verbspeaker nounspeech nounspoken adjective (≠unspoken)
nounjump to other results