- 1[uncountable, countable] very small drops of a liquid that are sent through the air, for example by the wind sea spray A cloud of fine spray came up from the waterfall. (figurative) a spray of machine-gun bullets
- 2 [uncountable, countable] (especially in compounds) a substance that is forced out of a container such as an aerosol, in very small drops a can of insect spray (= used to kill insects) body spray see also hairspray, pepper spray
- 3[countable] a device or container, for example an aerosol, that you use to apply liquid in fine drops a throat spray Use a spray to apply the weedkiller.
- 4[countable] an act of applying liquid to something in very small drops I gave the plants a quick spray.
- 5[countable] a small branch of a tree or plant, with its leaves and flowers or berries, that you use for decoration synonym sprig
- 6[countable] an attractive arrangement of flowers or jewelry, that you wear a spray of orchids
nounjump to other results