- 1[uncountable, countable] the season between winter and summer when plants begin to grow flowers that bloom in spring/in the spring He was born in the spring of 1944. There's a feeling of spring in the air today. spring flowers twisted wire
- 2[countable] a twisted piece of metal that can be pushed, pressed, or pulled but that always returns to its original shape or position afterward bed springs The springs in the sofa have broken . She's full of energy, like a coiled spring.
- 3[uncountable] the ability of a spring to return to its original position The mattress has lost its spring. water
- 4[countable] a place where water comes naturally to the surface from under the ground a mountain spring spring water cheerful quality
- 5[uncountable, singular] a cheerful, lively quality She walked along with a spring in her step. sudden jump
- 6 [countable] a quick sudden jump upward or forward With a spring, the cat leaped on to the table.
nounjump to other results