- 1[countable] a pile of something, usually neatly arranged a stack of books see also haystack
- 2 [countable] stack (of something) (informal) a large number or amount of something; a lot of something stacks of money There's a stack of unopened mail waiting for you at the house. I've got stacks of work to do.
- 3[countable] a tall chimney, especially on a factory see also chimney stack, smokestack
- 4the stacks [plural] the part of a library, sometimes not open to the public, where books that are not often needed are stored The books you need will have to be brought up from the stacks.
- 5 [countable] (computing) a way of storing information in a computer in which the most recently stored item is the first to be retrieved (= found or gotten back)
- 6 [countable] (geology) a tall thin part of a cliff that has been separated from the land and stands on its own in the sea Idioms
to get very angry
blow your top/stack(informal)jump to other results