- 1 [countable] a table or small shop with an open front that people sell things from, especially at a market synonym stand a market stall There is a fish stall at the farmers' market. Drinks were being sold from makeshift stalls at the side of the road. see also bookstall
- 2[countable] a section inside a farm building that is large enough for one animal to be kept in
- 3 [countable] a small area in a room, surrounded by glass, walls, etc., that contains a shower or toilet
- 4[countable, usually plural] the seats at the front of a church where the choir (= singers) and priests sit
- 5[countable, usually singular] a situation in which a vehicle's engine suddenly stops because it is not getting enough power
- 6 [countable, usually singular] a situation in which an aircraft loses speed and goes steeply downward The plane had an engine stall.