- 1a small piece of wire that is used in a device called astaplerand is pushed through pieces of paper and bent over at the ends in order to fasten the pieces of paper together
- 2 a small piece of metal in the shape of a U that is hit into wooden surfaces using a hammer, used especially for holding electrical wires in place
- 3a basic type of food that is used a lot Aid workers helped distribute corn, milk, and other staples.
- 4something that is produced by a country and is important for its economy Rubber became the staple of the Malayan economy.
- 5 staple (of something) a large or important part of something Celebrity gossip is a staple of the tabloid press.