Phrasal Verbsphrasal verbjump to other results
start offphrasal verb
- 1to begin to move The horse started off at a steady trot.
- 2to begin happening; to begin doing something The discussion started off mildly enough.
- 3 to begin by doing or being something Let's start off with some gentle exercises. We started off by introducing ourselves. start off doing something I started off working quite hard, but it didn't last.
- 1 [no passive] to make someone begin doing something What started her off on that crazy idea? Don't say anything to her—you'll start her off again (= make her get angry). start somebody off doing something Kevin started us all off laughing.
- 2to help someone begin doing something My mother started me off on the piano when I was three. start somebody off doing something His father started him off farming.