- 1[uncountable, countable] the legal position of a person, group, or country They were granted refugee status. The party was denied legal status.
- 2[uncountable, countable, usually singular] the social or professional position of someone or something in relation to others low status jobs to have a high social status Women are only asking to be given equal status with men. She achieved celebrity status overnight.
- 3 [uncountable] a high social position The job brings with it status and a high income.
- 4[uncountable, countable, usually singular] the level of importance that is given to something the high status accorded to science in our culture
- 5[uncountable] the situation at a particular time during a process What is the current status of our application for funds?
nounjump to other results