- 1not in a curve or at an angle; in a straight line Keep straight on for two miles. Can you stretch your arms out straighter? He was too tired to walk straight. I can't shoot straight (= accurately). She looked me straight in the eye. immediately
- 2 by a direct route; immediately Come straight home after school. I was so tired I went straight to bed. She went straight from college to a high-level job. I'm going to the library straight after the class. I'll come straight to the point—your work isn't good enough. in level/correct position
- 3in or into a level or vertical position; in or into the correct position Sit up straight! She pulled her hat straight. honestly
- 4honestly and directly I told him straight that I didn't like him. Are you playing straight with me? without interruption
- 5continuously without interruption They had been working for 16 hours straight. Idioms
not in curve
adverbjump to other results
to stop being a criminal and live an honest life
go straight (informal)jump to other results
to be honest and not try to trick someone
play it straightjump to other results
immediately; without delay synonym at once I'll do it straight away.
straight awayjump to other results
if you say something straight from the shoulder, you are being very honest and direct, even if what you are saying is critical
straight from the shoulderjump to other results
without hesitating When asked about her change of plans, she answered straight off.
straight off (informal)jump to other results
honestly and directly She told him straight out that he was a bore.
straight out (informal)jump to other results
to think in a clear or logical way
think straightjump to other results