- 1 [countable] a small piece of jewelry with a part that is pushed through a hole in your ear, nose, etc. diamond studs
- 2 [countable] a small round piece of metal that is attached to the surface of something, especially for decoration a leather jacket with studs on the back
- 3 [countable] a small metal object used in the past for fastening a collar onto a shirt
- 4[countable, uncountable] an animal, especially a horse, that is kept for breeding; a place where animals, especially horses, are kept for breeding a stud farm The horse was retired from racing and put out to stud (= kept for breeding).
- 5[countable] (informal) a man who has many sexual partners and who is thought to be sexually attractive
- 6 [countable] a small metal piece set into the tire of a vehicle to prevent slipping in bad weather
- 7[countable] a vertical board in the wall of a building that forms part of the building's frame