- 1[uncountable] the activity of learning or gaining knowledge, either from books or by examining things in the world a room set aside for private study academic/literary/scientific, etc. study It is important to develop good study skills. Physiology is the study of how living things work.
- 2studies [plural] (formal) a particular person's learning activities, for example at a college or university to continue your studies academic subject
- 3studies [uncountable] used in the names of some academic subjects business/media/American studies detailed examination
- 4[uncountable] the act of considering or examining something in detail These proposals deserve careful study.
- 5[countable] a piece of research that examines a subject or question in detail to make/carry out/conduct a study This study shows/confirms/suggests that… a detailed study of how animals adapt to their environment scientific studies of fishing grounds and methods of fishing Topic CollocationsScientific Researchtheory formulate/advance a theory/hypothesis build/construct/create/develop a simple/theoretical/mathematical model develop/establish/provide/use a theoretical/conceptual framework/an algorithm advance/argue/develop the thesis that… explore an idea/a concept/a hypothesis make a prediction/an inference base a prediction/your calculations on something investigate/evaluate/accept/challenge/reject a theory/hypothesis/modelexperiment design an experiment/a questionnaire/a study/a test do research/an experiment/an analysis make observations/calculations take/record measurements carry out/conduct/perform an experiment/a test/a longitudinal study/observations/clinical trials run an experiment/a simulation/clinical trials repeat an experiment/a test/an analysis replicate a study/the results/the findings observe/study/examine/investigate/assess a pattern/a process/a behavior fund/support the research/project/study seek/provide/get/secure funding for researchresults collect/gather/extract data/information yield data/evidence/similar findings/the same results analyze/examine the data/soil samples/a specimen consider/compare/interpret the results/findings fit the data/model confirm/support/verify a prediction/a hypothesis/the results/the findings prove a conjecture/hypothesis/theorem draw/make/reach the same conclusions read/review the records/literature describe/report an experiment/a study present/publish/summarize the results/findings present/publish/read/review/cite a paper in a scientific journal see also case study room
- 6[countable] a room, especially in someone's home, used for reading and writing art
- 7[countable] a drawing or painting of something, especially one done for practice or before doing a larger picture a study of Chartres Cathedral a nude study music
- 8 [countable] = étude perfect example
- 9[singular] study (in something) (formal) a perfect example of something His face was a study in concentration.
activity of learning
nounjump to other results