- 1[countable, uncountable] style (of something) the particular way in which something is done a style of management a management style furniture to suit your style of living a study of different teaching styles Ilike your style (= I like the way you do things). Caution was not her style (= not the way she usually behaved). I'm surprised he rides a motorcycle—I'd have thought big cars were more his style (= what suited him). see also lifestyle design of clothes/hair
- 2 [countable] a particular design of something, especially clothes We stock a wide variety of styles and sizes. Have you thought about wearing your hair in a shorter style? a style that was popular in the 1950s collocations at Topic CollocationsClothes and Fashionclothes be wearing a new outfit/bright colors/fur/a uniform/a costume be (dressed) in black/red/jeans and a T-shirt/your best suit/leather/silk/rags (= very old torn clothes) be dressed for work/school/dinner/a special occasion be dressed as a man/woman/clown/pirate wear/dress in casual/designer/second-hand clothes wear jewelry/accessories/a watch/glasses/contact lenses/perfume have a cowboy hat/red dress/blue suit on put on/take off your clothes/coat/shoes/gloves/socks/helmet change into/get changed into a pair of jeans/your pajamasappearance change/enhance/improve your appearance create/get/have/give something a new/contemporary/retro look brush/comb/shampoo/wash/blow-dry your hair have/get a haircut/your hair cut/a new hairstyle have/get a piercing/your nose pierced have/get a tattoo/a tattoo done (on your arm)/a tattoo removed have/get a makeover/plastic surgery/cosmetic surgery/Botox™ treatment use/wear/apply/put on makeup/cosmeticsfashion follow/keep up with fashion/the latest fashions spend/waste money on designer clothes be fashionably/stylishly/well dressed have good/great/terrible/awful taste in clothes update/revamp your wardrobe be in/come into/go out of fashion be (back/very much) in vogue create a style/trend for something organize/put on a fashion show show/unveil a designer's spring/summer collection sashay/strut down the catwalk/runway be on/do a photo/fashion shoothairstyle
- 3[uncountable] the quality of being fashionable in the clothes that you wear style-conscious teenagers Short skirts are back in style (= fashionable). My husband has no sense of style. being elegant
- 4[uncountable] the quality of being elegant and made to a high standard The hotel has been redecorated but it's lost a lot of its style. She does everything with style and grace. of book/painting/building
- 5[countable, uncountable] the features of a book, painting, building, etc. that make it typical of a particular author, artist, historical period, etc. a style of architecture a fine example of Gothic style a parody written in the style ofMolière The palace was rebuilt in the same style. use of language
- 6 [uncountable, countable] the correct use of language It's not considered good style to start a sentence with “but.” Please follow house style (= the rules of spelling, etc. used by a particular publishing company). -style
- 7(in adjectives) having the type of style mentioned Italian-style gardens a buffet-style breakfast see also old-style in a plant
- 8(biology) the long thin part of a flower that carries the stigma [countable] Idioms
way something is done
nounjump to other results
to stop someone from behaving in the way they want to She didn't want me to go with her to the party in case I cramped her style.
cramp somebody's style(informal)jump to other results
in an impressive way She always celebrates her birthday in style. He won the championship in great style.
in (great, grand, etc.) stylejump to other results