- 1(often disapproving) not studying or looking at something thoroughly; seeing only what is obvious a superficial analysis The book shows only a superficial understanding of the historical context.
- 2appearing to be true, real, or important until you look at it more carefully superficial differences/similarities When you first meet her, she gives a superficial impression of warmth and friendliness.
- 3(of a wound or damage) only affecting the surface and therefore not serious a superficial injury superficial burns
- 4(disapproving) not concerned with anything serious or important and lacking any depth of understanding or feeling synonym shallow a superficial friendship The guests engaged in superficial chatter. She's so superficial!
- 5(technology) of or on the surface of something superficial veins a superficial deposit of acidic soils
superficialityjump to other results
superficiallyjump to other results