- 1 [countable] (often in compounds) a small piece of paper, cloth, plastic, etc. attached to something to identify it or give information about it He put name tags on all his shirts. a gift tag (= tied to a present) The police use electronic tags to monitor the whereabouts of some offenders. see also price tag Thesauruslabeltag stickerThese are all words for a piece of paper, fabric, or plastic that is attached to something and gives information about it.label a small piece of paper, fabric, or plastic that is attached to something in order to show what it is or give information about it:The washing instructions are on the label. address labels He'll only wear clothes with a designer label.tag (often used in compounds) a small piece of paper, fabric, or plastic that is attached to something, or that someone wears, in order to give information about it/them:Everyone at the conference had to wear a name tag.label or tag?Labels in clothes are often made of fabric and sewn in. Tags on clothes are usually made of cardboard and cut off before you wear the clothes. Aname tag can be stuck or tied onto someone to show who they are:All babies in the hospital have name tags wrapped around their ankles.Price tag is much more frequent than price label and is used for both literal and figurative meanings:What does the price tag say? There is a $20 million price tag on the team's star player.A label can also be a sticker that you put on an envelope.sticker a sticky label with a picture or message on it, that you stick on to something.Patterns a price tag/sticker to have a label/tag/sticker to attach/put on/stick on a label/tag/sticker The label/tag/sticker says…
- 2 [countable, usually singular] a name or phrase that is used to describe a person or thing in some way They are finally ready to drop the tag “the new Beatles.” The “slim” tag stuck with him for years, even after he had grown much heavier.
- 3[countable] (linguistics) a word or phrase that is added to a sentence for emphasis, for example I do in Yes, I do see also question tag
- 4[countable] (computing) a set of letters or symbols that are put before and after a piece of text or data in order to identify it or show that it is to be treated in a particular way
- 5[countable] a short quotation or saying in a foreign language the Latin tag “Si vis pacem, para bellum.” (= if you want peace, prepare for war)
- 6 [uncountable] a children's game in which one child chases the others and tries to touch one of them see also phone tag
- 7 tags [plural] (informal) the license plates on a vehicle Someone stole my tags!
- 8 [countable] a symbol or name used by a graffiti writer and painted in a public place