- 1[uncountable] a long, narrow strip of material with a sticky substance on one side that is used for sticking things together adhesive tape see also duct tape, insulating tape, masking tape, Scotch tape™
- 2 [uncountable] a long, narrow strip of magnetic material that is used for recording sounds, pictures, or information see also magnetic tape, videotape
- 3 [countable] a cassette that contains sounds, or sounds and pictures, that have been recorded a blank tape (= a tape that has nothing recorded on it) I lent her my Bob Marley tapes. Police seized various books and tapes.
- 4[countable] a long, narrow strip of material that is stretched across the place where a race will finish the finishing tape
- 5[countable] = tape measure
- 6 [countable, uncountable] a narrow strip of material that is used for tying things together or as a label The papers were in a pile, tied together with a tape. see also red tape, ticker tape
nounjump to other results