- 1(not used in the progressive tenses) have flavor
- 2 linking verb to have a particular flavor + adj. It tastes sweet. taste of something The ice cream tasted of peppermint. taste like something This drink tastes like sherry.
- 3-tasting (in adjectives) having a particular flavor foul-tasting medicine recognize flavor
- 4[transitive] taste something (often used with can or could) to be able to recognize flavors in food and drink You can taste the garlic in this stew. I can't really taste anything with this cold. test flavor
- 5[transitive] taste something to test the flavor of something by eating or drinking a small amount of it synonym try Taste it and see if you think there's enough salt in it. eat/drink
- 6[transitive] taste something to eat or drink food or liquid I've never tasted anything like it. have short experience
- 7[transitive] taste something to have a short experience of something, especially something that you want more of He had tasted freedom only to lose it again.
NAmE//teɪst//Verb Forms present simple I / you / we / they taste
he / she / it tastes
past simple tasted