- 1[uncountable] the main printed part of a book or magazine, not the notes, pictures, etc. My job is to lay out the text and graphics on the page.
- 2[uncountable] any form of written material a computer that can process text printed text Highlight the area of text on screen and press the “delete” key.
- 3[countable] = text message
- 4 [countable] the written form of a speech, a play, an article, etc. The newspaper had printed the full text of the president's speech. Can you act out this scene without referring to the text? Topic CollocationsLiteraturebeing a writer write/publish literature/poetry/fiction/a book/a story/a poem/a novel/a review/an autobiography become a writer/novelist/playwright find/have a publisher/an agent have a new book out edit/revise/proofread a book/text/manuscript dedicate a book/poem to…plot, character, and atmosphere construct/create/weave/weave something into a complex narrative advance/drive the plot introduce/present the protagonist/a character describe/depict/portray a character (as…)/(somebody as) a hero/villain create an exciting/a tense atmosphere build/heighten the suspense/tension evoke/capture the pathos of the situation convey emotion/an idea/an impression/a sense of… engage the reader seize/capture/grip the (reader's) imagination arouse/elicit emotion/sympathy (in the reader) lack imagination/emotion/structure/rhythmlanguage, style, and imagery use/employ language/imagery/humor/an image/a symbol/a metaphor/a device use/adopt/develop a style/technique be rich in/be full of symbolism evoke images of…/a sense of…/a feeling of… create/achieve an effect maintain/lighten the tone introduce/develop an idea/a theme inspire a novel/a poet/somebody's work/somebody's imaginationreading and criticism read an author/somebody's work/fiction/poetry/a text/an article/a poem/a novel/a chapter/a passage review an article/a book/a novel/somebody's work give something/get/have/receive a good/bad review be hailed (as)/be recognized as a masterpiece quote a phrase/a line/a stanza/a passage/an author provoke/spark discussion/criticism study/interpret/understand a text/passage translate somebody's work/a text/a passage/a novel/a poem
- 5[countable] a piece of writing that you have to answer questions about in an exam or a lesson synonym passage Read the text carefully and then answer the questions.
- 6 [countable] = textbook medical texts
- 7[countable] a sentence or short passage from the Bible that is read out and discussed by someone, especially during a religious service
nounjump to other results