- 1ticket (for/to something) a printed piece of paper that gives you the right to travel on a particular bus, train, etc. or to go into a theater, etc. a bus/theater/plane, etc. ticket free tickets to the show Tickets are available from the Arts center at $2.50. a ticket office/machine/collector (figurative) She hoped that getting this job would finally be her ticket to success. see also e-ticket, meal ticket, season ticket
- 2a printed piece of paper with a number or numbers on it, that you buy in order to have the chance of winning a prize if the number or numbers are later chosen a lottery/raffle ticket There are three winning tickets.
- 3 a label that is attached to something in a store giving details of its price, size, etc.
- 4an official notice that orders you to pay a fine because you have done something illegal while driving or parking your car synonym fine a parking/speeding ticket
- 5 [usually singular] a list of candidates that are supported by a particular political party in an election She ran for office on the Democratic ticket. see also dream ticket Idioms
nounjump to other results
exactly what is needed in a particular situation
just the ticket(informal)(approving)jump to other results
to vote for candidates from more than one party
split the ticket(politics)jump to other results
used to say that something is just what is needed or that everything is just right Are we all packed and ready to go? That's the ticket.
that's the ticket(old-fashioned)(informal)jump to other results