- 1[uncountable, singular] the state of being in agreement and working together; the state of being joined together to form one unit European unity a plea for unity within the party unity of purpose opposite disunity
- 2[uncountable] (in art, etc.) the state of looking or being complete in a natural and pleasing way The design lacks unity.
- 3[countable] (in literature and theater) any of the principles of classical or neoclassical theater that restrict the action of a play to a single story, day, and place the unities of action, time, and place
- 4[singular] (formal) a single thing that may consist of a number of different parts If society is to exist as a unity, its members must have shared values.
- 5[uncountable] (mathematics) the number one