- 1[uncountable] (disapproving) too much pride in your own appearance, abilities, or achievements She had no personal vanity (= about her appearance). The invitation to head the committee flattered his vanity and he agreed. see also vain
- 2[uncountable] (literary) the quality of being unimportant, especially compared with other things that are important the vanity of human ambition in the face of death
- 3vanities [plural] behavior or attitudes that show people's vanity Politics is too often concerned only with the personal vanities of politicians.
- 4 [countable] = dressing table
- 5 [countable] a sink fixed into a flat surface with cupboards underneath