- 1 having a job for which you are paid synonym employed the working population a working mother see also hard-working
- 2connected with your job and the time you spend doing it long working hours poor working conditions I have a good working relationship with my boss. She spent most of her working life as a teacher. recent changes in working practices
- 3a working breakfast or lunch is one at which you discuss business
- 4used as a basis for work, discussion, etc. but likely to be changed or improved in the future a working theory Have you decided on a working title for your thesis yet?
- 5if you have a working knowledge of something, you can use it at a basic level
- 6the working parts of a machine are the parts that move in order to make it function
- 7a working majority is a small majority that is enough to enable a government to win votes in the government and make new laws Idioms
adjectivejump to other results
NAmE//ˈwərkɪŋ//[only before noun]
(especially of machines) working well The engine is now in perfect working order.
in running/working orderjump to other results