- 1 having the colour of a clear sky or the sea/ocean on a clear day piercing blue eyes a blue shirt a navy blue jumper her vivid blue eyes
- 2 (of a person or part of the body) looking slightly blue in colour because the person is cold or cannot breathe easily Her hands were blue with cold.
- 3(informal) sad synonym depressed He'd been feeling blue all week. See related entries: Unhappiness
- 4films/movies, jokes or stories that are blue are about sex a blue movie
- 5 (politics) (of an area in the US) having more people who vote for the Democratic candidate than the Republican one blue states/counties opposite red see also true-blue Word Origin Middle English: from Old French bleu, ultimately of Germanic origin and related to Old English blǣwen ‘blue’ and Old Norse blár
to scream loudly and for a long time, especially in order to protest about something