- 1to be destroyed by heat The spacecraft burned up as it entered the earth's atmosphere.
- 2(usually used in the progressive tenses) (informal) to have a high temperature You're burning up—have you seen a doctor?
- 3(of a fire) to burn more strongly and with larger flames
(North American English, informal) to make somebody very angry The way he treats me really burns me up.
- 1to get rid of or destroy something by burning The fire burned up 1 500 acres of farmland.
- 2to use calories or energy by doing exercise Which burns up more calories—swimming or cycling?