Definition of circumflex noun from the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary



BrE BrE//ˈsɜːkəmfleks//
; NAmE NAmE//ˈsɜːrkəmfleks//
(also circumflex accent)
jump to other results
the mark placed over a vowel in some languages to show how it should be pronounced, as over the o in rôle compare acute accent, grave2, tilde, umlaut Word Originlate 16th cent.: from Latin circumflexus (from circum ‘around, about’ + flectere ‘to bend’), translating Greek perispōmenos ‘drawn around’.
See the Oxford Advanced American Dictionary entry: circumflex