Definition of frontispiece noun from the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary



BrE BrE//ˈfrʌntɪspiːs//
; NAmE NAmE//ˈfrʌntɪspiːs//
[usually singular] Parts of a book
jump to other results
a picture at the beginning of a book, on the page opposite the page with the title on it See related entries: Parts of a book Word Originlate 16th cent. (originally referring to the principal face of a building): from French frontispice or late Latin frontispicium ‘facade’, from Latin frons, front- ‘front’ + specere ‘to look’. The change in the ending (early in the word's history) was by association with piece.
See the Oxford Advanced American Dictionary entry: frontispiece