- 1 [uncountable] behaviour that is morally right or acceptable the difference between good and evil Is religion always a force for good? Which Word?good / goodness The noun good means actions and behaviour that are morally right. You can talk about a person doing good:The charity does a lot of good. the difference between good and evil. Goodness is the quality of being good. You can talk about a person’s goodness:Her goodness shone through.
- 2the good [plural] people who live a moral life; people who are admired for the work they do to help other people a gathering of the great and the good something helpful
- 3 [uncountable] something that helps somebody/something Cuts have been made for the good of the company. I'm only telling you this for your own good. What's the good of (= how does it help you) earning all that money if you don't have time to enjoy it? What good is it redecorating if you're thinking of moving? see also do-gooder Word Origin Old English gōd, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch goed and German gut.Extra examples I know you don’t want to go into hospital, but it’s for your own good. In disadvantaged areas, schools can be a force for good. It will do you good to get out of the house more often. That break has done me a power of good. The results of the research should be used for the common good rather than for individual profit. When the his health problems continued, he resigned for the good of the party. You can try talking to her, but I don’t think it will do much good. the struggle between good and evil Cuts have been made for the good of the company. Do they know the difference between good and evil? I’m telling you this for your own good. Look for an opportunity to do good whenever you can. Schools can definitely be seen as a force for good in this area. What good would it do to tell her about it after all this time? What’s the good of earning all that money if you’ve no time to enjoy it?Idioms used to say that if something happens, it will be good, even if it is not exactly what you were expecting If these measures also reduce unemployment, that is all to the good.
- 1 to not be useful; to have no useful effect This gadget isn't much good. It's no good trying to talk me out of leaving. Was his advice ever any good?
- 2 to not be interesting or enjoyable His latest film isn't much good.