a grand palace beside the River Thames, 15 miles/24 kilometres to the west of London. It was built by Cardinal Wolsey in 1515 and given by him to King Henry VIII so that he would remain in favour with the king. The house was made even bigger by King William III in 1689, the additions being designed by Christopher Wren. Hampton Court is now open to the public. As well as its fine buildings, it is famous for its gardens and maze (= an area of paths between high hedges designed as a puzzle through which people try to find their way).